What is the average cost to remodel a kitchen in the DMV area?
What is the average cost to remodel a kitchen in the DMV area?
COSTS OF KITCHEN REMODELING IN 2021
Are you looking to remodel your kitchen around the DMV (DC, Maryland, and Virginia) but have no idea where to start when it comes to price? Find out the typical kitchen remodel cost that go along with the renovation process. You can also learn how to save money on your next big kitchen remodel.
When it comes to renovating the kitchen, preparation is key. Creating a beautiful, functional kitchen not only increases the homes resale value but acts as the epicenter of the home. Additionally, the kitchen is one of the most satisfying home remodels available. The first step in attaining your dream kitchen is determining the cost of a kitchen remodel. You need to understand what you can expect to pay and most importantly, what you can afford.
Finding a healthy balance between your budget and expectations will be key in understanding where you can go all out and where you will need to reign it in. Use the following information to get started and estimate the cost of your next kitchen renovation. Then reach out to our extraordinary staff at DMV Kitchen & Bath to get things started.
Estimating the Cost of a Kitchen Renovation
Where you live matters because the cost of a kitchen renovation can vary widely. Prices fluctuate state to state and from suburbs to city. For example, kitchen renovations in the south could be as much as $25,000 less than then one in California. This article focuses on kitchen renovation in the DMV area.
HomeAdvisor typically ranges the price of a kitchen remodel between $13,484 – $38,097. A small kitchen could cost as little as $5000 while lavish kitchens start in the $70,000+. It is imperative to spend wisely.
Depending on what you change, replace, or update in your kitchen will be the main driver of costs. Deciding what is the most important aspects that you need will help you make smart choices. Understanding what you would like when it comes to functionality or beauty will help focus the budget.
Average Kitchen Remodeling Costs by Feature
The following is a breakdown of where money is spent in the average cost of a kitchen remodel:
- Cabinetry and Hardware 29%
- Professional Services 21%
- Appliances and Ventilation 14%
- Countertops 10%
- Flooring 7%
- Lighting and Electrical 5%
- Walls and Ceilings 5%
- Doors and Windows 4%
- Faucets and Plumbing 4%
- Miscellaneous 1%
Although this is only a preliminary estimate it should provide you with a starting point. Understanding the most important aspects of the costs to remodel your kitchen will provide you with the information to make informed decisions.
Costs to Renovate by Kitchen Size
Small Kitchens (<70 sqft) $5000 – $25000
Medium Kitchens (100 – 250 sqft) $15,000 – $50,000
Large Kitchens (200+ sqft) $30,000 -$70,000+
Renovation Costs for a Small Kitchen
The basic rate to update small kitchens in the DMV area is between $5k and $25k depending on what you plan to install, repair, or upgrade. Small kitchens have limited options due to the size, but this helps keep the budget under control. With a minor kitchen renovation, you can expect to update the most dated elements without demoing the entire space, install new cabinets or paint existing cabinets, replace backsplash, and splurge on new appliances.
What’s included in a $5000 to $25,000 kitchen remodel?
There are many options at the lower end of an average kitchen remodel. This doesn’t mean you will be able to completely demo your space and start from scratch, but you will be able to make some major changes. Here are some recommendations for a $5k to $25k remodel:
- DIY strategy: Labor will be a major factor effecting your bottom line. You will need to offset the costs of hiring professionals. Maybe its tiling backsplash, painting walls or sourcing materials. Think about what your capable of doing and what skills you possess to help you accomplish your vision.
- Don’t relocate the major appliances: Keep the stove, range, dishwasher, and sink in the original place. Moving them will not only require the assistance of professional services but will involve installing electrical wires to new locations.
- How old are your cabinets? Unless you have outdated, and moldy cabinets consider updating them before replacing them completely. There is always the option to paint, refinish or resurface cabinets prior to completely removing them.
- Appliances: If you decide to go for new appliances, you can save money by choosing a budget appliance package.
Some other projects that contribute to a $5k – $25k remodel include:
- Installing LED lights
- Ceiling and under-cabinet lighting that conserves energy
- Replacing some fixtures
- Upgraded faucet and sink in the kitchen
- Replace countertops with low-cost materials
- Finished or refaced cabinets
- Updating door or window
- Installing backsplash
- Paint walls and ceilings
Renovation Costs for a Medium Kitchen
The common cost to update a medium kitchen in the DMV area is between $15k and $50k. Medium kitchens are typically between 100 – 200 sqft and have the space to really make an impact on resale value. A mid – scale kitchen renovation includes keeping your existing kitchen size while increasing the quality of materials used, replacing cabinetry, splurging on granite or quartz countertops, replacing the backsplash, and updating to all new appliances. Adding a kitchen island is not uncommon and kitchen islands are one of the hotter renovation’s trends.
What’s included in a $15,000 to $50,000 kitchen remodel?
With this budget, you’ll be able to accomplish a little more with your kitchen redesign. With a bigger budget it would be advisable to invest in quality materials. Beyond quality materials, you may have some freedom to relocate objects around the kitchen. Popular options in this price range include:
- Quality Countertops: A solid color or a veined design resembling marble will be a great addition and worth the extra money spent. Countertops can last for many years and contribute greatly to resale value.
- Upgrade the Stove and Vent: If you love entertaining there is nothing more practical than splurging on an updated range and vent hood. This provides the cooking and ventilation power needed for large scale hosting. With the right backsplash or tile design this can easily become the showstopper in any modern kitchen.
You can do some of the following in this price range:
- High-end materials such as metal, stone, or wood are used to create the countertops
- Cabinets that have been designed and installed
- Built-in kitchen island
- Install flooring
- Professional painting services
- Installation of high-end kitchen appliances
- Installation of recessed lights and rewiring
Renovation Costs for a Large Kitchen
Large kitchen updates in the DMV area are typically $70k+. Large kitchens are usually 200 sqft or bigger and this level of renovation usually involves structural changes. In our competitive market, a major kitchen remodel can give a higher-end home an edge over the competition.
A large kitchen remodel includes reconfiguring the kitchens layout while simultaneously incorporating high end updates. These kitchen remodel cost include high quality cabinets and countertops, open floor plan and the removal of walls, converting space to include walk in pantries, granite or quartz countertops, and top of the line appliances.
What Can You Do with $70k+ for a Kitchen Renovation?
You’ll have a lot of options with this budget when it comes to upgrading your kitchen. At these price points you should have a great balance of functionality and efficiency. With top-of-the-line appliances, open layout concepts, and quality materials your vision can truly come to life. At this price point it is also recommended to work with a designer. Here at DMV Kitchen & Bath we have a professional design team that will help you craft your vision into reality.
You’ll be able to choose from a variety of cabinet and counter materials, as well as additional features such as kitchen islands, high-end appliances, and contemporary lighting.
You can do the following within this budget:
- Highest quality appliances installed
- Quartz counters
- Tile or marble backsplash
- New sink, faucet, and pot filler
- Built in microwave, coffee bar, and pull-out pantry
- Top of the line cabinetry
- Hardwood floors
- Custom lighting
In conclusion, the sky is the limit when it comes to outfitting your dream kitchen with everything you desire. Kitchen remodels costing upwards of $70,000+ should be done by a professional kitchen designer and builder.
If your ready for your new kitchen but don’t know where to start, we’re here to help! To learn more about how DMV Kitchen & Bath may assist you, please contact us.